Have you ever experienced being locked out of your home or your car? If yes, then it could have been one of the most fearful situations you have ever dealt with. But, what are those things that you actually need to do when you have been in that certain situation? There are two types of locked out situations that you need to be aware of. These usually include of being locked out in your house or being locked out in your car.
Both of these locked out situations can make you feel afraid and even nervous. This is the reason why as early as now, you need to be aware of the things you need to do when you are exposed to any of these locked out situations. When this ever happens again, you are already aware of the things to do for your own safety.
What to do when you’re locked out of Your Car?
Getting locked out of your car can be very frustrating. One of the most common situations is that you may have forgotten the keys inside your car. You may feel panicking and your mind cannot even think of the best thing to do to get out of the situation. Here are some of the best steps you need to do to get through the situation.
- Things You Should Not Do When Locked Out of Your Car
- Don’t Panic – If possible, remain calm. This is especially if you have your children with you. Remember that panic only adds up to additional worries and stresses. This does not let you to think clearly. If you will be at such an unfamiliar or dangerous area, it is essential for you to stay in a lit space.
- Don’t Use a Hanger – While there are some who make use of a hanger to break their car, this is still believed to be a bad idea. With this method, expect for damages on your window seal and on your window. This may only add up to the previous car problem you have. This will not allow you of entering your car at all.
- Don’t Perform the Tennis Ball Trick – A lot of car owners have tried using their tennis ball in getting inside their cars. With this trick, they are actually taking the tennis ball and punching in the key sized hole on one side of the car. While this tennis ball trick may work for some old cars but still you have no assurance that this will help you out with the high-tech cars nowadays.
- Don’t Use a Ruler – This is just the same as the hanger trick but the only difference is the ruler. If you make use of a wooden or a plastic ruler, it may break off your car’s door immediately. Steel rulers may also cause immediate damage to your window and even to your window seal. No matter what type of material the ruler is made of, this type of locked out trick is not further recommended.
These are among the certain things you need to avoid when you are in a locked out situation of your car. Preventing yourself of doing the mentioned activities is a one way to ensure that you will not be adding further damages to your car.
- Things to Do When You’re Locked out of Your Car
Locking yourself in a certain type of vehicle can be extremely stressful and embarrassing. The main thing that you want to do is to try getting inside of your car. This is also despite the possible damages that this might come up with. Here is the complete list of the things you need to do when this locked out situation happens.
- Call the Attention of the Police – If you are locked out of your car, then calling the immediate attention of the police is an essential thing to do. They have the appropriate tools to help you get into your car. If ever the police officials have noticed the immediate risks, they may recommend you of seeking the assistance of locksmith.
- Locksmith Services – A locksmith should be your first choice when a lockout situation happens. This is especially during emergency situations. You are assured that your car will be opened without any further damages. This is also when you seek for the services offered by the professional locksmith providers. Most of the time, they offer the services at their affordable rates. The purpose is to assure people of being given with a chance of getting in touch with their services.
Following the above mentioned ways gives you an assurance that despite the complexity of the locked out situation, you can still have the chance to get in your car and avoid putting more damages on it.
Steps to Follow When You Are Locked Out of Your Home
It is quite common for people to be locked out of their homes. There are instances that they are tired from their work. They have just taken a nap and have realized that the keys are not in their pocket. It could have been possible that the keys are dropped somewhere. It could also be possible that they have forgotten them inside their houses.
What will you do if such situation ever happens to you? Will you break the windows or the doors of your house just to get in? To give you an idea on how to handle a locked out situation like this, here are some of the things you need to remember:
- Relax – The most essential thing you need to do is to keep cool and remain relaxed. Do not lose your presence of mind. This may only worsen the locked out situation. Don’t panic or don’t get angry or upset with other people who should be responsible for the situation.
- Spare Keys – There are some people who are hiding some extra keys on other areas or premises of their houses. Sometimes, they just allow their friends or relatives to store some of their keys. When this ever happens, you have to just contact them and explain the situation. Whatever you do, always try to think of the best solution instead of being upset about it.
- Get Professional Help – In situations where you cannot locate your spare keys, it is now the right time for you to seek for professional help. If you have recalled that a friend of yours with professional skills also experience the same locked out situation, then don’t miss out the chance to ask for the assistance and support. You may also search for some websites or companies online that can offer you with locksmith services. They can help you out in dealing with the lockout situation.
When you follow these tips, you are most guaranteed that if you are locked out of your house, you are already aware of the things to do.
Avoid Getting Locked Out of Your Car or House
The house and car keys may be small but these items are still important. These can be easily lost as well. And thus, you need to call for a professional locksmith service provider. This may happen in the middle of the night or even a day. No matter what is the time and the location, asking for professional locksmith services helps you resolve the problem.
Here are some of the things you need to remember for you not to experience any of the locked out situations:
- Attach all of the keys to a specific keychain that is oddly shaped.
- Keep all the keys attached to an item that you always use. This way, you will get far from it.
- You can also have an extra set of keys for your car and for your home. This is a wise decision to avoid getting locked out of your car or house.
- Be responsible in storing all keys at the right place wherein you can remember it easily.
- You should also spare time and effort in learning the best skills on picking the best locks of your own. With a few simple practices and tools, it is not that hard for you to do such thing. This is a one way of increasing your knowledge and your idea on how to do car and home security responsibilities.
- You need to keep one key on your purse or wallet. Search for a secure pocket with some space on where you can keep your keys. This is one way for you to prepare when you are locked out of your car.
By doing the above mentioned ways, you have the utmost assurance that locked out catastrophes will be most prevented.
Best Places to Keep Your Car and House Keys
If you want to keep your car or house keys at their proper and safer place, here is the list of some of the best places to place them.
- Giving an extra key to those people whom you completely trust such as the family member, the closest friend in the neighborhood.
- You can purchase a fake rock to put the keys inside. Be sure that the rock appeals to be real to avoid catching the interest of the intruders.
- Carry extra keys in your bag or pocket.
- Lock all the keys in an electrical panel and lock it with a padlock.
- Attach a heavy duty type of contractor’s box into a gas pipe and place the keys inside.
Bad Places to Keep House and Car Keys
Most of the intruders prefer entering homes and cars by means of the unlocked doors. This is simply because they do not want to take a lot of time and effort searching for the keys. Breaking the car and home windows is more convenient for them. But, this does not mean that you need to leave all your keys in such a suspicious spot wherein intruders may find it. Here are some of the bad places for you not to hide your keys.
- Underneath the mat.
- Under the planter.
- Inside the mailbox.
- Taped inside any gutter of the house.
- On window ledge.
- In the glove box of your car.
- In the lock itself.
It is essential for you to know the good and bad places wherein you can keep or cannot keep your house or car keys. This is for you to be sure that you will not be exposed to a locked out situation. This can only threaten not only your property but even your life.
As early as now, be equipped with the right knowledge about the things that must be done when you are locked out of your house or of your car. Knowing such things in advance is an essential way for you to be calm and still be relaxed when a locked out situation takes place. You will also be aware of the best things to do prevent further distractions!